Finding a Specialist Physician

Hunter syndrome typically requires management by multiple specialty physicians. These specialists can include pediatricians, specialist nurses, otolaryngologists, orthopedic surgeons, ophthalmologists, cardiologists, pulmonologists, anesthesiologists, neurologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and psychologists.

How to Find Specialists

  • Ask your primary care physician, friends, and relatives for recommendations
  • Check with area hospitals—many offer referral services
  • Check with your county medical society
  • Ask your insurance company, health maintenance organization, or managed care plan if they have preferred physicians to choose from
  • If you are moving, ask your current physician for a referral

Choosing the Right Specialist for You

  • Check if the physician is licensed and board certified
  • Call the American Board of Medical Specialties toll-free at 800-ASK-ABMS (800-275-2267) to confirm board certification
  • Once you have identified specialists you may want to use, set up a time to interview them; many offices will set aside time for brief interviews
  • Ask the specialist how many people with disabilities the practice serves
  • Ask about their policy for accommodating people with disabilities (e.g., reduced wait times, quiet waiting areas)
  • Ask about office hours and locations, payment requirements, emergency and after-hours coverage, the availability of telephone consultations and house calls, and at which hospitals the physician has admitting privileges
  • Review your health insurance plan to see if a physician is part of your insurance network or if the plan covers “out of network” referrals